iPad Update August 13, 2020
If you have a Department of Education iPad there are some important actions to take to ensure that your child’s iPad is ready for use for the return to school. All students will be working remotely for at least a few days a week. Your child will need their iPad to be ready for learning for the fall.
To prepare the iPad for use you must complete the following:
Turn on the iPad
Some iPads have not been turned on all summer. We need you to charge and power up the iPad.
Turn Airplane Mode On and then Off
This will reset your internet connection
- Go to Settings
- Find the Airplane Mode button
- Turn Airplane Mode on for ten seconds (button turns green)
- Turn Airplane Mode off and wait until the iPad reconnects to the internet
- You will see the connected icon at the top of the screen
- Go to schools.nyc.gov to make sure your iPad is connected to the internet - all DOE-loaned iPads have internet access.
Sign into Zscaler
In order to ensure your child is using the internet with all the safety and protection policies the DOE requires you will need your child’s @nycstudents.net account. If you haven’t setup your child’s DOE Student Account, please see the setup announcement on our school website. Once you have obtained your child’s DOE student account credentials please follow these directions, or see the instructions on the Zscaler page:
- On the main screen, click the Zscaler icon. After clicking the icon, you will be taken to the login page.
- Enter your child’s @nycstudent account (only use the student’s username and password, no need to include @nycstudents to log in), then click the “sign in” button.
- Click on the "allow" button and wait one minute for a connection to be established until you will see the Zscaler screen
- Once the connection is secure, close the app
- That is it. You can use the iPad normally now.
Sign into the Learn at Home App
The Learn at Home app will make connecting to learning and support much easier for your child (and you, too!), and allow you to get notifications on the iPad:
- Find the Learn at Home icon on the main screen on the iPad
- Log in the same way you did for Zscaler, using the same @nycstudents.net account (only use the student’s username and password, no need to include @nycstudents to log in)
- From the Learn at Home app your child can access TeachHub, Google Classroom and get help.
Good news! Your child’s iPad is Now a Hotspot
That allows you to connect other devices used for remote learning to the internet. It is easy:
- Go to Settings
- Find Personal Hotspot and click to take you to the login screen
- Select Allow Others to Join
- Devices other students in your house are using for remote learning can be added to that connection
- As a reminder, as with the iPad itself, the hotspot connection is to be used only to access remote learning activities. Any unauthorized use is strictly prohibited.
Please note that when we have other updates, we will send messages to you and your iPad on Thursdays, and we will let your schools know about the updates.
For additional information or support with you child's iPad please go to iPad setup and Support page